Stop what you are doing and take one really juicy breath. Right now. I’m not kidding. Close your eyes and settle into its beauty. I am always amazed at the power of one purposeful breath. It can completely transform your energy in a positive way and considering the chaos of the holidays, this is the perfect time for a reminder to hit pause and reset so let’s do it. Right now. No excuses. We all have five minutes to spare. It’s just five minutes. Maybe you subtract it from the time you spend on social media or the time you spend watching TV. You can even snag five minutes during your work day but you have to commit to doing it. Put this post in your calendar each and every day. Set an alarm. Whatever it takes to breathe…
I get it, I have always felt overwhelmed at the idea of committing to a regular and lengthy mediation practice so, instead, I do exactly what I am encouraging you to do. I snag a few minutes here and there and it’s helpful. Truly.
Then, when I have time for more I revel in it without pressure or judgement if it doesn’t happen as much as I would like. Instead, I find comfort in the fact that I can always find time for one breath (read more here) or in this case, five minutes.
I know, we can all come up with reasons why we “can’t find the time” but have you ever considering this? Taking the time to breathe can make all of those other moments feel less frantic and more productive. They may even feel more meaningful which would be nice. I think we can all agree to that.
So stop fighting it and just give in. It’s only five minutes — let’s do this.
A 5 Minute Meditation
*After your read through these simple steps, set your phone timer for 5 minutes. Now put it out of sight so you won’t feel compelled to check facebook or read your email. It can wait, I promise.
- Get comfortable–wherever you are–because breathing is free and you can do it anywhere.
- Close your eyes.
- Shake it out. This is the time when I wiggle my body a little bit so you can settle into the coziness.
- Start by simply focusing on your breath. On each inhale, image a beautiful bright white light entering your body. Visualize this light filling each and every cell in your body and feel that area of your body relaxing as the light flows. You can start at your head and work down to your toes–allowing the light to calm you a bit more with each inhale. Focus on each area of your body relaxing as the light flows through.
- Once your body is calm and full of that bright beautiful light try this…
- Exhale all the ick. With each inhale you are filling your body with that bright white light. On each exhale, let go of anything that doesn’t serve you. For a timely visualization, imagine that there are fall leaves covering your body and as you let go of these unneeded thoughts, imagine the leaves are falling onto the ground–making room for new growth and positive intentions.
This is self-love.
This is self-care.
Do it often.
Inhale Love, Exhale Gratitude…it’s the most magical time of the year!
Read more: the power of hitting pause