Cool nights, cozy sweaters and root vegetables…exhale, it is finally fall. The transition from summer to fall always creates a bit of a craze before we are able to slow down and settle in to this snuggly time of year. As the days get shorter and the weather changes, so does our body. We begin to crave warming foods and our summery, summer kissed skin starts to shift into survival mode for the harsh, cold months ahead. Our tanned skin likely needs some TLC prior to hunkering down for the dry of the winter.This is the perfect excuse to take some time to yourself for some skincare TLC. Yes, this is coming from the girl that barely washes her face but even I know my skin can use some love this time of year.
Before I share my favorite toxin-free beauty products, let’s chat about general wellness tips that can really help your skin thrive. Reminder: our skin is an organ that needs to be cared for as well as we care for the rest of our body!
A few tips to start you moving in the right direction:
- Hydrate! There are so many reasons to drink enough water and our skin’s health is one of them. Water is one of the best ways to support our body’s natural detoxification pathways.
- Sweat! Like proper hydration, exercise is wildly beneficial and getting your sweat on is a great way to help your skin cleanse any impurities hanging out in your pores.
- Eat clean. The foods choices you make impact the health of your skin as much as they impact the rest of your body. Chronic skin problems can be directly related to food choices and, of course environmental toxins (more on that in a minute).
- Up your vegetable intakes as the antioxidants are important for healthy skin
- Choose foods that make you feel good. In other words, consider removing foods like gluten and dairy from your diet if you are intolerant.
- Embrace healthy fats–you know, nuts, seeds, avocado and healthy oils like extra virgin olive oil. Fats are one of the building blocks of our cell membranes and they help to keep your skin moisturized as well. Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble vitamins, many of which are important for skin health, that can only be metabolized if you include fats in your diet.
- Avoid heavily processed foods and sugars for all of the obvious reasons!
- Check out my blog on Dry Skin Brushing as it will explain and offer tips for detoxifying and exfoliating that sun-damaged, I mean sun-kissed, skin of yours. This is a great way to care for you skin and your body all winter long.
Like food, environmental toxins found in cleaning products and personal care products can directly impact our skin health and overall health. Read more here and check our my everyday beauty routine as well as my picks for fall beauty must-haves.
1. Beauty Counter Sugar Body Scrub – Exfoliate the dry and damaged summer skin away with this delicious sugar body scrub. Made with brown sugar and mineral-rich evening primrose, sweet almond and apricot oil, that leaves the skin looking radiant and feeling smooth. Antioxidant-rich acai berry supports healthy skin while pure citrus and lemongrass oils make for an invigorating spa-like experience.
2. Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary – Moisturizing is crucial as the air is getting more and more dry. Get a head start on winter with this body oil, made of 13 different botanical oils that will leave your skin feeling silky smooth. Grapefruit, Sweet Orange and Rosemary make this the perfect seasonally scented body oil; follow up with this Citrus Mimosa Hydrating Body Lotion for the ultimate skin moisturizing experience.
3. Balancing Face Oil – Add a bit of luxury to your daily routine with this beautiful moisturizer. Made of plant-based oils, this toxin-free oil sinks deeply into the skin for a rich, radiant moisturizing feel like like no other.
4. Purifying Charcoal Mask – This mineral-rich mask, made of kaolin clay and charcoal, gently exfoliates the skin, draws out impurities, and leaves the skin noticeably smooth and clear. It also increases elasticity which is great considering the sun exposure actually depletes collagen. This mask is the perfect 10-minute deep clean for congested, dull skin and a face mask is a simple way to treat yourself to an in-home spa treatment!
5. Lip Conditioner Calendula Balm – Calendula and Chamomile oils act as anti-inflammatories that help heal chapped lips, while avocado oil, shea butter, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba oil nourish, protect and moisturize your lips, leaving them soft and smooth all season long.
6. All Over Sunscreen SPF 30 – The temps may be cooler, but the Sun is still in full effect. Protect your skin from the Sun’s harmful UV/UA rays all year long with this toxin-free, family-friendly sunscreen.
Beyond exfoliating, purifying, protecting and moisturizing, it’s also important to use quality, toxin-free makeup that won’t damage your skin or add to your overall chemical load. Here are a few my favorite fall-inspired products and colors from Beauty Counter that leave my skin feeling light, natural and beautiful all winter long.
5. Lip Sheer
I am a Beauty Counter Consultant. When ordering, please enter my name as your consultant. If you make a purchase and use my name, I will receive a small commission. I am also a member of the amazon affiliate program so if you purchase through the link provided I will receive a small commission. You do not pay the commission, it is paid by a third party. Opinions expressed here are my own and I only recommend products I would personally use.