There is something about a stuffed chicken recipe that always feels decadent. It’s just so hearty, wholesome and filling. When I ditched dairy a few year back (we were not getting along), I eagerly searched for substitutes for cheese to use in recipes like this and thankfully, the humble cannellini bean came to my rescue. Creamy and satisfying, this fiber and protein rich bean became a staple in our house.
This recipe was developed on behalf of the Better Bean Company.
Let’s circle back to this chicken recipe which, while it looks and tastes really indulgent, is actually quite simple to make and wildly good for you. I used “Better Bean: Tuscan White Beans” to create this recipe. Why? I love the fact that they have never seen a can! This is really comforting for those weeks when you simply don’t have the time to cook up a batch of fresh beans but you don’t want to rely on the canned alternative as they are far more processed and often (usually) are lined with chemicals that can be harmful to your health. Even better than avoiding the can, Better Bean uses locally farmed beans, cooks up their beans with love and then skips all those additives and preservatives which is important to note because they don’t live with their shelf-stable cousins–you will find them in the refrigerated section of your store!
“Better Bean” uses wholesome, whole food ingredients. They have created a number of amazingly flavorful options and, well, I am hooked. Each and every ingredient on the label can be found on your grocer’s shelf and quite frankly, your kitchen! These beans are made with love as well as ingredients your can believe in.
Ready to cook? This recipe is going to have you hooked…on the beans and this dish!
- 6, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 large roasted pepper, diced
- 1 cup Tuscan White Beans (Better Bean)
- 1 cup chopped, steamed or frozen kale
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast halves to form a pocket.
- In a small bowl, combine the roasted peppers, white beans, kale and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of the mixture and close (you can use a tooth pick if needed). Season the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Using a grill pan or sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken (top side down to start) for 2-3 minutes to brown. Once browned, place the whole pan in the oven and back for 8-10 minutes to cook through.
- If you can't find the Tuscan White Beans you can season plain cannellini beans with herbs like oregano, thyme and rosemary and it will taste just as yummy!