I would roast every meal in the oven if I could. I’m serious. There is nothing easier than popping your food into the oven, setting a time, and forgetting about it. It’s like you have a personal chef. I go about my day and then, when the timer goes off, we eat! And this chicken recipe. I make it every week. I’m not kidding. It is that good (you’re welcome). And, it is beyond easy. I am obsessed with roasting and I am equally obsessed with this chicken recipe. The slightly smoky and mildly sweet pairing of the maple, smoked paprika and oregano makes this recipe a total winner. Each week, when I head to the store, I grab a few bone-in, skin-on organic chicken breasts or a whole chicken. Please buy the bone-in version and, for the love of god, keep the skin on, trust me! This is not weight-watchers! The result is a juicy and delicious chicken dish and, might I add, a super satisfying meal which means you are less likely to dive into a bag of chips afterwards. I digress.
So, this recipe is as easy as seasoning your chicken breasts and then setting the timer for 45 minutes. You can even multi-task you meal and prep some veggies that will roast along with the chicken. Craving asparagus? Toss them into the oven when there is 10 minutes remaining on the timer. Roasted potatoes? Give them 30 minutes. My current obsession is delicata squash–check out this simple recipe you can roast while your chicken cooks.
It’s that easy.
I always make enough chicken for dinner as well as some extra so that I can use it later in the week. Hello chicken tacos, quesadilla, salads and more. Whether you make one piece or eight, I will put money on the fact that you will make it again and again and again.
- 4, bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (or a whole chicken, split)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika*
- 1 teaspoon country-style dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped*
- Pre-heat oven to 425.
- Arrange Chicken, skin side up, in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, maple, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture onto the chicken
- Roast for 45 minutes. Turn the oven to broil to crisp the skin; 3 -5 minutes.
- 1. Smoked paprika comes in hot and mild varieties. They both are delicious in this recipe.
- 2. You can skip the maple and make an spice blend using the turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and dried oregano. You could even add other dried herbs like thyme, parsley and sage. You can store this in the spice cabinet for everyday use.