I love this time of year! My kitchen is filled with the fruits of my garden labor – tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, green beans, cucumber and zucchini. I can usually keep up with the supply, but recently I had an influx of zucchini. Thankfully, it is such a versatile vegetable that I had no problem coming up with lots of tasty dishes. Here are a few of my favorite ways to prepare my zucchini
- Stuffed:Cut your zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the center and stuff with your filling of choice. I usually use a mixture of whole grain rice, lentils and whatever greens I have available. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Zucchini Pasta: This is one of my personal favorites! Simply julienne your zucchini, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds followed by a cold-water rinse. Then top it with your favorite homemade pesto or marinara sauce to enjoy cold or hot!
- Grilled: So easy and simple! Cut your zucchini into thick slices, drizzle with olive oil and season with fresh ground black pepper, a pinch of sea salt and your favorite herbs (I like rosemary and thyme). Grill 4-5 minutes on each side and enjoy!
- In Your Omelet: Zucchini is just one of a number of vegetables that can really pump up your morning omelet. Simply dice and toss in with your eggs for a powerhouse breakfast! We love adding zucchini to frittatas as well.
- Salad: Yet another way to enjoy your zucchini! Combine raw or cooked zucchini with cooked quinoa or whole grain rice, chickpeas, diced bell pepper, and thinly sliced red onion. Season with fresh ground black pepper, sea salt and fresh parsley, and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and the squeeze of 1 lemon. Toss and enjoy!
Bonus: zucchini works well as a sweet treat as well. Try this good-for-you baked good the whole family will love!
Zucchini and Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 cup all purpose spelt flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup grated peeled sweet potato
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9X9-inch brownie pan. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Beat maple, applesauce, oil and eggs to blend in large bowl. Mix in zucchini and sweet potato. Add dry ingredients and stir well.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes.
Erin DeMito, RD, LDN