As the snow begins to fall and the weather gets chilly I start to crave warm winter drinks like hot cocoa. Dairy and I do not get along so when choosing ingredients cows milk is out and water is just boring. I love this hot cocoa recipe because it is dairy free and refined sugar free yet has plenty of flavor and chocolate goodness.
The best part about this cocoa recipe is that you can serve it hot on a cold day, or you can chill it down and serve as a healthy low-sugar chocolate milk alternative. Whichever way you choose to enjoy this delicious drink, be sure to add a little bit of gratitude to each sip.
- 12 ounce unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder (depending on how much chocolate you like)
- Drop of vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 can or carton full-fat coconut cream, refrigerated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dash vanilla or 1 whole vanilla bean, scooped
- Heat all ingredients in saucepan until warm and serve.
- Chill a metal or glass bowl in the fridge, about 30 minutes
- Add coconut whipped cream, honey and vanilla
- Whip with mixer until stiff peaks (just like regular whip cream)
- This can be served hot with your favorite toppings, or you can serve it chilled.
Katie Cavuto MS, RD