Today is National Go Red Day to take a stand against heart disease which is the number one killer of women. Here, in the Healthy Bites Kitchen we are all about prevention. We want to inspire all of you take take control of your lifestyle and that starts in the kitchen. This nutritious salad is packed with some of the most beautiful red foods we could find and lucky for us…all or that color represents a lot of nutrition!
Red Kale, Blood Orange and Watermelon Radish Salad with Pistachios
- 8 cups red, curly kale, chopped
- 2 watermelon radishes, halved and thinly sliced (you can substitute regular radishes)
- 2 blood oranges, pith removed, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Add kale to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, mustard, shallot and oil. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss the kale with some of the dressing. Garnish with oranges, radishes, pistachios and chia seeds (optional).
Katie Cavuto MS, RD